109 Broadway, Fargo, ND
The Hancock Building offers character office space overlooking Broadway in downtown Fargo and features exposed ceilings with large windows. This location is considered a Walker’s Paradise, with a Walkscore® of 96 and BikeScore® of 94.
The building is located within blocks of different parking options. The new parking garage at Roberts Commons offers parking spaces as well as free public bicycle parking. During the week, the first two hours are free to park in the garage. There is also free parking on nights and weekends. Contact Interstate Parking at FargoParking.com for more information.
Built in 1903, the Hancock building at 109-11 Broadway and the Douglass Block next door at 113 Broadway were built and owned by Fargo architects George and Walter Hancock. They designed half of the buildings during the reconstruction of downtown Fargo after the great fire of 1893.
According to “Fargo’s Heritage,” by Norene A. Roberts, the Hancock Building has beautiful stamped metal spandrels which are ornamented spaces between the exterior curve of an arch and enclosing right angle.
These architectural flourishes and the bracketed metal cornice, which is a molded and projecting horizontal member crowning an architectural composition, were no doubt made at Fargo Cornice & Ornament Co., an early Fargo business owned by George Rusk. Roberts adds that the building was designed in the Classical Revival style and the tall keystones over the windows are typical of the period.
In 1927, the E.A. Ricker department store at 109 Broadway was purchased by B.H. Waterman who was from Menomonie, Wis. He owned a store in Menomonie and another in Chippewa Falls, Wis.
Waterman’s had been in Fargo before moving to Moorhead in 1934, where the business was located on Center Avenue.
An October 1932 story tells of a new front costing several thousand dollars on what was by then called the Waterman-Ohm department store at 109 Broadway.
The story about the completion of the remodeling says it is largely about renovating the basement for a large dining room lunch room and kitchen. However, the story adds, “Upstairs, the store has continued to operate despite the handicap imposed by the alteration work. An entire new front is being place on the store. This involves a complete new set of show windows, arranged so as to give the same depth for all merchandise placed therein. There is 105 feet of show window space. The lights, powerful and clear will flow from the front and top. Inside the main store, departments have shifted about to make for attractiveness and practicality. The shoe department, formerly in the rear, is now to the left as one enters the store. In the rear of the store will be a ‘pin money’ shop, a new addition to the departments.”
On the second floor of the Hancock building was the New York Hairdressing academy, which had been in residence since about 1933. The third floor was the New York Club, which had rooms to rent.
The street level stores at 109, 111 and 113 Broadway included May’s, which sold shoes. There was Arthur’s, a women’s clothing store, and Vera Jean Hats. Mandel Furs at 113 Broadway eventually expanded into May’s and Arthur’s and offered women’s clothing and shoes.