613 1st Ave N, Fargo, ND
Commercial Space Available
The Stone Building was most recently used as an event center and is now available to lease. With ample storage space, a large commercial kitchen, and beautifully renovated historic features, the Stone Building is well suited for a variety of experiences unique to downtown Fargo. This building can be subdivided or leased entirely. Currently there is a prep kitchen and ballroom on first floor, full kitchen and ballroom on second floor and office space on the 3rd floor.
The brand-new mixed-use Kesler building surrounds the Stone on two sides with 109 new apartment units and ground floor commercial space. The Stone Building is situated at the south end of the popular destination Roberts Alley.
In 1894, Indiana native Charles R. Stone founded Stone’s Music House in Fargo. The business was renamed Stone’s Piano Company in about 1909. In 1910, Stone built a new three story building at 613-617 1st Avenue North for Stone’s Piano Company. The Stone Building was designed by the Hancock Brothers and featured yellow brick and stone trim in Classical Revival style. During this time, the Fargo College Conservatory of Music was housed in the upper floors.
The Stone Building, 613 First Avenue N. Named for Charles R. Stone, this building served as the third home for its namesake’s piano company, which brought music to residents throughout the area during a time when people created their own entertainment. Stone’s natural musical ability was evident as a child, and he became an accomplished accordian played by the age of 7. He created a band in his home state of Indiana at the age of 13, and he headed west after graduating with a music degree. He landed in St. Paul where he worked as a piano company salesman before he ended up in Fargo in the late 1890s. He opened his store in 1894, an operation believed to be the first exclusive retail piano and music business in the state of North Dakota. He erected the Stone building in 1908 and also operated a music store in Minneapolis from 1919 to 1925.
Stone died in 1935 and his son took over ; he was joined by A.J. Daveau, who ended up going into business with Charles Stone, Jr. In 1956, Daveau purchased the building and operated music companies out of it until the 1970s. The building was renovated and opened in 2000 as the Avalon Events Center, which closed a few years ago. In 2016, Kilbourne Group purchased the building .