625 2nd Ave N, Fargo, ND
In November 2015, the City of Fargo sought redevelopment proposals for the city-owned property at 624 and 625 2nd Avenue North. The City wanted a design concept that integrates an urban scale mixed-use development with a parking structure providing approximately 400 parking spaces. Kilbourne Group submitted the Roberts Proposal, a four-phased public and private partnership plan, which was approved by the City on February 16, 2016.
Kilbourne Group uses a very considerate and thoughtful urban design process to develop high quality projects. We understand the value of smart, mixed-use design for activating underutilized spaces in Fargo’s downtown core. Roberts Commons will activate Roberts Alley, creating walkable spaces that are not only safe, but useful, comfortable, and interesting.
Phase I kicked off in June 2016 with the construction of a seven-story parking garage, which was complete by June 2017. The parking garage will provide 455 car parking stalls and 221 spaces for bicycle parking. The garage is owned and operated by the City of Fargo and Interstate Parking. Phase II is the construction of the Roberts Commons mixed-use building, which will wrap the parking garage. Construction of phase II began April 2017 and is scheduled to be complete in April 2018. RoCo will offer 72 amenity apartments, ranging from studio to two-bedroom units. The ground floor of Roberts Commons will bring over 13,000 square feet of space for retail, food, and beverage concepts along Roberts Street, 2nd Avenue North, and Roberts Alley.
Kilbourne Group strives to create new spaces for experiences that are distinctive to downtown Fargo.
Roberts Commons is named after one of Fargo’s original pioneers, Samuel G. Roberts. According to NDSU archives, Roberts “took up a quarter section of land,” which is now the northwest corner of Broadway and N.P. Avenue. Bordered by Roberts Street, 2nd Avenue North, and Roberts Alley, Roberts Commons is currently located the heart of downtown Fargo. Roberts Street is the only street in Fargo to be named after a person after the enactment of the Fargo City Ordinance of 1887 which sought to standardize street names to prepare for mail deliver. References to Roberts Street are found as early as 1881. As one of Fargo’s earliest settlers, S.G. Roberts lived on the street at 202 Roberts Street and his house was later moved to 1115 8th Street South in 1920. Read more about Roberts here.
Portrait of Samuel G. Roberts, created by Charles L. Judd, 1856-1936
The Columbia Hotel was located on the northeast corner of Roberts Street and 2nd Avenue North. It was a four-story brick structure with its entrance facing Roberts Street. It opened on October 1, 1888 and featured 100 electric lighted, steam heated, and superbly furnished rooms. Five years after opening, it was lost in the great fire of 1893.
Columbia Hotel, Roberts St. and 2nd Ave looking Southeast
The ruins of the building stood at the site for a decade, as did much of the entire block, until the location became the site of Fargo’s first public library, the “Fargo Carnegie Library.” Aided by a $20,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie, the new library opened January 26, 1903. A number of other buildings were constructed on 2nd Avenue between the library and the alley, most notably the Salvation Army.
All were razed at different points to make way for surface parking, including the library in 1970.
Most recently, the property was a combination of both privately and publicly owned surface parking lots.