Full time / Fargo, ND
The Staff Accountant manages all project accounting activities and reporting for assigned real estate development and construction projects. Responsible for job cost tracking, reconciliation of general ledger accounts and subsidiary ledgers, accounts payable, billing work in process and communication with construction and development managers on project status.
Responsibilities vary depending on the scope and magnitude of the project but will typically include the following:
- Prepare, assemble and manage construction and equity draw processes for assigned projects.
- Review construction pay applications, process invoices, analyze billings to ensure they are in conformance with the contract scope, terms and conditions. Ensure all necessary construction lien waivers are included and proof of insurance documentation is obtained.
- Monitor project costs. Identify and communicate budget deficiencies or deviations with project team in a timely manner and recommended corrective actions.
- Maintain the project budget in the system making sure the approved budget is entered completely and accurately. Processes budget revisions once proper approvals are obtained.
- Read and interpret development and operating agreements to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Maintain and prepare project report packages in accordance with development and operating agreements and loan documents with project partners and lenders.
- Responsible for the processing, reviewing, coding, tracking and general ledger posting of construction and equity draws for multiple projects. Reconcile project costs to the general ledger and subsidiary ledgers
- Manage cost allocation and reimbursement process for joint venture development projects. Prepare project report packages to management including cost variances.
- Reconcile all bank statements for assigned projects. Manage month-end close tasks and uploads in accordance with deadlines set forth by property accounting.
- Reconcile inter-company and project transactions with parent company and other affiliated entities. Attend project status update meetings on development projects
- Manage all the accounts payable and receivable for assigned projects through project inception to close- out.
- Upload, validate and process invoices for assigned projects into Timberline. Ensure job cost invoices for correct account coding and support documents.
- Prepare and record journal entries each month as required.
- Maintenance and periodic review and changes to job cost codes for usage, relevancy and change as new product types are developed.
- Review and enhance the existing system of controls and financial reporting for development and construction projects.
- Assist with special projects as related to development or construction projects including improving and maintaining job cost software.
- Maintain project files. This activity includes both paper and electronic records.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; CPA preferred
- 3-5 years in Accounting
- Experience with Accounts Payable, Job Cost, Billing, Accounts Receivable, Contracts, and General Ledger
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience with Timberline Construction Software a plus
- Ability to act independently and proactively, multitask and thrive in the busiest of environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Maintains confidentiality at all times
- Creative problem solver that effectively works across teams
- Fully shares the credit for team accomplishments
- Self-motivated with a high level of initiative and a sense of urgency
- Commitment to a “go above and beyond” attitude
- Embraces change as an opportunity for growth
- Demonstrates respect, professionalism, flexibility and open-mindedness
- Recognizes that choices create outcomes
- Understand that all impressions and interactions count
- Participates in building and maintaining internal and external collaborations
- Committed to expanding internal capacity through continuous learning and professional development
In addition to the functions described above, this role may include other responsibilities and duties as assigned, based upon Kilbourne Group LLC needs and or requirements.